Crafters Anonymous: TARDIS Light Fascinator

If you’re crafty and you know it, clap your hands.


I don’t have Jen from Epbot’s marvelous skills (or her multi-talented husband), but I do love to make things, and as long as it doesn’t require power tools, crafting is my go-to when I want something that doesn’t seem to already exist. Last weekend I went to a Doctor Who tea at Whimsic Alley, and since I was going to wear my TARDIS dress from Her Universe, I thought I might as well make a fascinator for the occasion.


I started with a blue headband, but since I knew it would give me a headache, I only used it as a mold. The blue mesh fabric was a couple feet long, a find in the remnants section of JoAnn’s (as was the silver mesh I used later in the process). I twisted it into a rope and wound it around the band, using pins to hold it in place. It looked pretty good, the folds worked nicely, it just wasn’t the right style for me, so later I pulled out the band and tied the mesh around my head like a scarf.

I didn’t want to make a straight TARDIS light to wear with my dress since I’d done that for my Halloween costume a few years ago. Instead I wanted something a lady might wear to afternoon tea, and I decided on an origami flower with a little lightbulb at the center. Many years ago when I bought my first sonic screwdriver, it came with a miniature copy of John Smith’s Journal of Impossible Things from the Season 3 ‘Human Nature/Family of Blood’ episodes. There are little illustrations of Whovian things in the pages, and eventually I started making jewelry from it. Luckily for me, I still had a lot of pages left over.


I cut them up into squares, and using these origami dalia instructions, made 8 units of this:

fascinator3Unlike traditional origami, there was glue involved, but it was pretty easy, and I had some extra paper in case I made a mistake. Once all the pieces were made, I glued them into a circle, leaving space at the center for the light bulb which I picked up at a bulb store for less than a dollar. I wrapped a rubber band around the base of the bulb to give it some extra grip, then attached it to the flower center using my hot glue gun.


I’d picked up some cool silver fabric from the remnants section, too, so I decided to make ‘leaves’ for my flower before attaching it to the blue mesh. Because of the material and the fact that I wanted it to look gauzy, I didn’t have to be too careful when I cut out squares. Then I made a few loose origami folds, like a napkin (this kind of fabric doesn’t really fold, so precision isn’t important), and used staples to hold them together until I was ready to attach them. I used hot glue to attach the flower and leaves to the blue mesh on a slight angle. This is where the band was useful – I’m not sure if the glue would have held if I’d left the mesh free – I probably would have glued the whole thing to the table. After it set, I pried the mesh off the band, and voila!


Add Your Thoughts